The CANgineBerry CANopen is an active CAN co-processor module that uses a regular UART communication channel towards the host system. With its independent 32-bit microcontroller, the CANgineBerry can easily execute CAN protocols with tough timing demands such as CANcrypt or CANopen with response times of under 10 ms.
Depending on the configuration, the CAN communication can be up and running within 50 ms after power-on, even if the host system takes significantly longer to boot.
Available firmware options at launch include a generic minimal CANopen Manager/Controller and a CANopenIA Device both based on the CANopenIA implementation. Embedded Systems Academy will also release a CANcrypt version of the popular Lawicel protocol (SLCAN).
- The CANgineBerry is equipped with a custom bootloader allowing the installation of one of the firmware packages provided by Embedded Systems Academy . Check their web page for available firmware packages.
- Two LEDs (green and red) indicate the network connection status.
- EEPROM to store configuration data.
- CAN termination configuration by jumper.
- Based on a Cortex-M0 microcontroller.
The serial protocol between host and CANopenIA is the CANopen remote access protocol by Embedded Systems Academy. It supports reporting events (new data arrived on CANopen side) as well as reading and writing data of the local Object Dictionary.
The CANopen Manager performs automatic network scans, simplifying application code as it can directly access the data scanned.
CANopen Manager implementations also support read and write accesses to Object Dictionary entries of any node connected to the CANopen network. For more information visit our dedicated web page at www.canopenia.com.
The CANgineBerry fits directly onto the Raspberry Pi 3. Delivery includes a set of screw for proper fixation. Linux command line utilities can be executed to program and configure the CANgineBerry. Programm examples for Linux are provided per download from this web page.
Using a generic UART-USB module (watch out for correct voltage levels), the CANgineBerry can be connected to any Windows PC. Windows command line utilities can be executed to program and configure the CANgineBerry. Programm examples for Windows are provided per download from this web page.
- CANgineBerry Mechanical v1.2 (PDF)
- CANgineBerry Quickstart (.pdf)
- CANgineBerry Manual (.pdf)
CANgineBerry Press Release (.zip)
- CANgineBerry Linux Software Archive (.tar.gz)
- CANgineBerry Windows Software Archive (.zip)
- CANopen Architect Mini Software (for own CANopen device configurations)
CANopen® is a trademark of the CAN in Automation User's Group