The RV3028 RTC is factory-calibrated, and is quoted to drift by just ±1 second per million seconds at 25 degrees. This will vary slightly depending on a number of factors. In our testing, we've seen performance better than ±2 seconds per million seconds. For comparison, that's up to five times more accurate than your average digital watch.
The tiny silver oxide battery (8mAh, included) keeps the RTC running when your device (Raspberry Pi or Arduino) is powered off and can sync the time when powered back on. It should last for several years (up to nine in theory, although the battery shelf-life is five years)!
The RV3028 breakout has an I2C interface and is 3.3V or 5V compatible. Like our other Pimoroni breakouts, we've designed it so that you can solder a piece of right-angle header onto it and then pop it straight onto the bottom left 5 pins on your Raspberry Pi's GPIO header (pins 1, 3, 5, 6, 9).
- RV3028 Real-Time Clock (RTC)
- Ultra-low-power (~100nA typical current draw)
- ±1 second drift per million seconds at 25 degrees
- Silver oxide battery included (1.55V, 8mAh, 337 type)
- 3.3V or 5V compatible
- I2C interface (address 0x52)
- Reverse polarity protection
- Raspberry Pi-compatible pinout (pins 1, 3, 5, 7, 9)
- Compatible with all 40-pin Raspberry Pi models
- Compatible with Arduino
- Python library
- Datasheet and applications manual
- RV3028 RTC Breakout
- 1x5 male header
- 1x5 female right angle header
We've put together a Python library that you can use with your RV3028 RTC Breakout, and an easy one-line installer to install everything.
Our Python library allows you to set and get the time (year, month, day, hour, minute, second), set periodic countdown timers with interrupts, and to set one-off or recurring alarms with interrupts.
- You'll need to run the set-time.py example the first time that you use your RV3028 RTC breakout to set the time correctly and to enable the clock to run on battery backup!
- The battery in this breakout is extremely tiny, so take care not to lose it. Also take care not to contact any metal objects with the breakout to avoid shorting the battery (don't toss it in a box with other breakouts or conductive materials)
- Dimensions: 19x19x4mm